What Kind Of Doctor Do I See For TMJ Pain?

You might be wondering where you should go for treatment if you have temporomandibular joint pain.

Do you go to your primary care physician first?

Should you see an ear, nose, and throat specialist if your ears are bothering you?

Do you need to consult a neurologist if your TMJ pain is accompanied by migraines?

When it comes to TMJ treatment, there is a better option available—and it’s one you may not have considered.

You should see a TMJ ent or dentist if you’re suffering from TMJ pain. Dentists are professionals who are trained in the anatomy of the jaw and the diagnosis of bite dysfunction. They don’t only fix your teeth.

TMJ pain is complicated, and a qualified dentist can assist you in determining the underlying cause of your issue and symptoms that you may not even realize are caused by jaw misalignment.

Of course, not all dentists have the knowledge and experience necessary to diagnose and treat TMJ disorders. Some practitioners take a one-size-fits-all strategy, providing bruxism equipment to all of their patients and sending them on their way.

This may help some individuals, but if it doesn’t, they may become discouraged and resort to invasive procedures that exacerbate their problems.

How does the dentist diagnose it?

Your symptoms will be discussed, and your jaw will be examined by your doctor or dentist. He or she will most likely:

What Kind Of Doctor Do I See For TMJ Pain?
  • When you open and close your mouth, pay attention to and feel your jaw.
  • Examine your jaw’s range of motion.
  • To find regions of pain or discomfort around your jaw, press on them.

You may require the following if your doctor or dentist senses a problem:

  • X-rays of your teeth and jaw to evaluate them
  • MRI to detect abnormalities with the joint’s disc or surrounding soft tissue, CT scan to provide comprehensive images of the bones involved in the joint